The Baby Bargain by Jennifer Apodaca
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Suspense, Marine, Adult Fiction.
Published: March 2013
Length: 184 pages (e-book)
3 out of 5 Stars (It was a cute read)
I wasn’t sure what I was going to think about this one, but the plot was interesting and kept my attention.
Megan is a veterinarian who is being accused for stealing a show dog by an influential man in her town. She seeks the help of an old love, Adam. Adam does not know that Megan has been keeping the fact that they have a 2 year old son. Once Adam finds out the child, he wants to protect his family, but he is not sure if he can be a father especially with the secret he has been holding.
I was a little nervous that we would not find out about the child, Cole, until closer to the end of the book, but that did not happen. As soon as Adam found out about his “C-Man” (I loved that nickname that Adam gave his son) the story took off.
Megan was a great heroine. She was sweet and understanding, but strong at the same time. I was upset with the fact that she did not tell Adam about Cole until he was 2 years-old. I think a man should always know. However, we learn what happened in her life with her father so I kind-of understood her fear. That whole story line about Megan’s father was believable. Usually when an author tries to write a story to make the readers understand the character’s angst, it is not so believable. This, I was able to understand and see how that could truly make her feel that Adam would do the same.
I thought the scenes between Megan and Adam were enduring and passionate. They were pretty hot. The author did a good job allowing me to experience their passion and love for one another.
I liked the suspense part of the story. I loved that Adam was the protector, but then I was disappointed because he seemed to “run” every time anything got hard. The miscommunication of him “thinking” what he thought Megan was thinking or feeling about him got on my nerves in the end. I want a man to act like a man and not be afraid to confront the issues.
- Did I skim? No
- Did I connect to the characters? Yes. It was easy to.
- Pace of story: Pretty. I have to be honest I thought it was going to drag, but I liked how the author took us and made the reader understand Megan and Adam’s love before Cole was introduced to the story.
- Positives: It was written well.
- Negatives: I hated that Adam basically waited until the last minute to tell Megan about why he was having those bad dreams. It honestly pissed me off. I liked Adam, but wanted to throw an apple or something at him so he would wake up and see him holding stuff in was only making things worse.
- Do I recommend? Overall, if you are looking for a simple cute love story with a bit of suspense, I recommend. It was a cute story even though the story got a little too sappy for me towards the end. However, I did not feel like I wasted my reading time.
Book/Format: ARC courtesy of the publisher for an honest review.
Follow Jennifer Apodaca on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jenniferlyon
Facebook Jennifer Lyon/Apodaca: http://www.facebook.com/jenniferlyonbooks?fref=ts
Jennifer Apodaca Website: http://jenniferlyonbooks.com/jennifer-apodaca/
LIKE me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Shereadsalotcom
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/shereadsalot2